Here’s what Semtek had to say in the lead up to his guest spot at CDR on Sunday
1. So, you’re spinning a discography selection at CDR. What can we expect to hear? a litttle insight please!
I started making music a long time ago but I’m going to focus on some of the releases I have forthcoming on my label, Don’t Be Afraid. I never really spend more than a week without some time writing, so I always have a couple of tracks on the go, and I often go back to older productions to see if I can improve on them or give them a new spin, so there will be plenty of unheard material.
2. How has attending CDR sessions shaped your journey as a producer?
My first visits to CDR were during the time when I was setting up my label, and the opportunity to hear how the productions sounded on a system before they were cut to disk was invaluable. I made some important decisions from listening to how the tracks sounded down there.
3. Who has been on heavy rotation on your audio player of late?
Ramadanman, Photonz, Duffstep, Mode, Isa GT
4. Talk us through the track you last [cmd] ‘S’d ? ([ctrl] ‘S’ to PC users)
After playing tracks out and seeing how people react to them I always feel the need to go back and make changes. The last track I finished was something that I started over two years ago and I always knew the idea needed some more development, a few holes patched up and so on. In the end it was the time spent away from working on the track and coming to it with a fresh pair of ears that helped me to finish it.
5. Any where else that people can hear you spin tunes other than your own?
I’m a resident of our Lostbahnhof night, which takes place every few month at various venues in London. The next installment is at LIFE on October 23rd. In the meantime you can catch me at the Horse and Groom for Legendary Children on October 1st.
6. Any thing else you care to add..Really anything!
The third release on Don’t Be Afraid, Lotos Eaters is out on 12″ this week with remixes from Neville Watson, Justin Harris and Isa GT.