CDR and Dimensions Festival are calling for producers to participate once again in the Dimension Sounds project, by contributing their music creations to create a soundtrack for the festival. The project provides the opportunity for music-creatives to connect around the world, and gives underground producers exposure via two of the most respected underground electronic events, Dimensions Festival and CDR.
Phase I (Local Audio) has just completed, which saw over 120 field recordings collected and submitted from across the globe. With sounds recorded from South America to Japan, Europe to South Africa, and the UK to Australia the sound palette is truly representative of the day-to-day sonic differences and similarities throughout the world. Now entering Phase II, underground electronic music producers are asked to manipulate some of the sounds submitted during Phase I and incorporate these into their own productions, creating original music for the festival soundtrack.
The brief is broad in order to leave plenty of creative licence for the producer, however a minimum of five (5) of the Local Audio samples are to be used in the track of which can be from either the 2015 or the 2014 sample packs provided. The producer must also familiarise oneself with the essence of the Dimensions Festival programme, taking in to account the different people and experiences that are bought together. Naturally, no Theo ripoffs please.
1. Tracks to be no longer than nine (9) minutes in length
2. A minimum of five (5) samples to be used from the Local Audio sample packs provided (see “Sample Packs” below)
3. If you intend to use samples other than those provided, make sure you have permission to use for which you don’t own the right, as neither CDR or Dimensions Festival cannot take responsibility for any repercussions
4. Please include brief production notes in the description field what tools you have used, and a little about your approach to the track
5. Please also list in the description field which Local Audio samples you have used
6. Please name your tracks in the following format: Producer/Artist Name – Track Name
7. Remember to leave some headroom for the mastering engineer
8. Your final ‘Master’ versions need to be a 24bit WAV or AIFF
9. All submission to be uploaded to the project’s Soundcloud group here
DEADLINE EXTENSION FOR SUBMISSIONS: Friday 31st July 2015 11:59pm BST
The Final Selection
The tracks submitted which we deem to standout will go on to feature on the Dimension Sounds 2015 digital album. The final track selection will be chosen by Dimensions and CDR judges. Their decision is final.
Up for Grabs
One track that blows judges away will be pressed onto vinyl* alongside three other artists who are playing at this festival. The artist will also be awarded with the opportunity to showcase their works to a wider audience with a live/DJ slot at Dimensions Festival 2015, with tickets, flights** and accommodation included. The finalist will also receive DJ or Music Production course of their choice*** at the SubBass Academy of Electronic Music, either in the studio or via any their online courses. All proceeds of this release will go to Steve Reid Foundation and Rising Tide charities.
*** JUST ADDED – A MASCHINE STUDIO COURTESY OF NATIVE INSTRUMENTS ***
To kick things off, the sounds have been compiled by Richard Gale (Sample Magic) into Ableton Drum Racks, Native Instrument Maschine, and Logic ESX24 specific kits available for download, with general WAV format also available. Also available are WAV samples from last years submissions:
Any questions please email georgina (at) cdr-projects (dot) com
Dimensions Festival: www.dimensionsfestival.com
**In the unlikely event that no track is deemed suitable for the vinyl pressing, CDR/Dimensions reserve the right to withdraw this aspect of the prize.
**Flight contribution up to the value of €250
**DJ or Music Production course up to the value of £375